¡Adelante Juntos! Forward Together!
February 22-24, 2019
Wyndham Garden Hotel and Conference Center
3401 South I-H 35, Austin TX
Friday, February 22
3:00 p.m. Hotel Check-In begins
3:00 – 7:00 p.m. Convention Registration (Hotel Lobby)
4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Website Matters and Membership Database Management – Sue Barrick, Vice President (Executive Learning Center)
5:00 p.m. Hospitality Suite Opens
5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Chapter Presidents Happy Hour (Hotel bar)
6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Tales from the Trail with Kim Olson, 2018 Candidate for Texas Agriculture Commissioner (Lady Bird Lake Room)
The Silent Auction will remain open in the Ballroom through the Gala Dinner Saturday evening.
The TDW Office is located in the Blanco Room throughout the convention.
Saturday, February 23
7:30 – 8:15 a.m. Continental Breakfast - Hospitality Suite
7:30 – 2:00 p.m. Convention Registration (Hotel Lobby)
8:30 a.m. ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING (LAKE HIGHLANDS BALLROOM)
Welcome & Call to Order: TDW President Cindy James
Pledges (U.S. and Texas) “Honor the Texas Flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.”
Remembrance of Texas Democratic Women we have lost this year.
Moment of Silence
Welcome & Introductions, Cindy James
Welcome to Austin, Mayor Steve Adler
Greetings from the Texas Democratic Party – Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa
Greetings from the Democratic National Committee – Hon. Celina Vásquez
Greetings from the NFDW – Hon. Susan Shelton, NFDW Recording Secretary
Recognition of Elected Officials
Recognition of TDW Finance Council, Chapter Officers, & Introduction of Officers
Minutes – Mary Ho
Treasurer’s Report – Kenna Giffin
- Communications – Sue Barrick, Vice President and Chair
- Membership – Kat Sanders, Chair
- Bylaws – Carol Jablonski, Chair
- Elections – Tammie Hartgroves, Chair
Election of Officers and Board
Installation of Officers and Board – Chief Justice Dori Contreras
30-minute Break – The Ballroom must be cleared to set up Star Awards Luncheon.
11:45 – 1:30 p.m. STAR AWARDS LUNCHEON
Presentation of Star Awards – Cindy James and María Regalado
Presentation of Chapter Achievement, Chapter Newsletter and Scrapbook Winners
President’s Awards Presentations
Texas Democratic Women Member of the Year Award – Vali Brannon, Hopkins County
Special Presentation to Cindy James – María Regalado
Joi Chevalier – Women Win
Keynote Speaker – Dr. Carla Brailey, Texas Democratic Party Vice Chair
1:40 – 2:30 p.m.
- Making the System Work – Dr. Carla Brailey, TDP Vice Chair (Guadalupe/Barton Creek)
- Emerge America Inspiring Women to Run & Honing the Skills to Win in Texas – Laila Mohib, Emerge America Expansion Director (Executive Learning Center)
2:35 – 3:25 p.m.
- The ABC’s of Public Education and the 86th Texas Legislature – State Senator Beverly Powell, State Representatives Gina Hinojosa and Donna Howard (Guadalupe/Barton Creek)
- Filing without Fear: What a Treasurer Needs to Know – Kenna Giffin, TDW Treasurer (Executive Learning Center)
3:35 – 4:30 p.m.
- Democracy for Texas - Every Voter Counts – Hon. Bruce Elfant, Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar (Guadalupe/Barton Creek)
- Working Together: Generational Diversity Awareness - Sue Weninger and Samantha Fields, TDW South Plains (Executive Learning Center)
4:30 – 6:00 p.m. Break – Hospitality Suite will be open
5:30 – 7:00 p.m. Cocktail Reception
7:00 p.m. GALA AWARDS DINNER
Dr. Mae Jackson Female Elected Official Award – Representative Nicole Collier, presented by Vicki Moore, Tarrant County Democratic Women President
Oscar Mauzy Humanitarian Award – Mr. Mike Collier, presented by Donna Beth McCormick, Capital Area Democratic Women
KEYNOTE ADDRESS – Hon. Lupe Valdez, 2018 Democratic Gubernatorial Nominee, introduction by María Regalado
Sunday, February 24
9:30 a.m. – noon Winter Board Meeting, María Regalado presiding (Blanco Room)