Awards and Nominations Guidelines
Each year at the annual convention, TDW recognizes local chapters and individuals for their outstanding work. It is our opportunity to acknowledge exceptional dedication, commitment, and activism. On February 6, 2016, TDW will present the awards listed below. Any TDW member or chapter can present a nomination for any award and are encouraged to do so.
- All nominations must be received ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 7, 2015, to be considered.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by a separate and complete awards nomination form (or Star awards nomination form) and any materials and costs associated with the award.
- All chapter and member nominations must be current in their dues to TDW.
Dr. Mae Jackson Outstanding Woman Elected Official –
This award is awarded to a Democratic woman elected official whose courage, accomplishments, and leadership has promoted the increased political activity and influence of Democratic women in Texas politics and government. (A nominee does not have to be a TDW member.)
Oscar Mauzy Humanitarian Award-
This award is awarded to a Democrat whose career of distinguished public or civic is in the best tradition of Oscar Mauzy. (A nominee does not have to be a TDW member.)
Texas Democratic Woman of the Year-
This award is awarded to a TDW member who has consistently enhanced the image and viability of Texas Democratic Women.
Chapter Certificates of Achievement-
Certificates of Achievement are awarded to TDW chapters that have achieved goals consistent with the mission of TDW. Certificates will be given to any chapter that submits an Awards nomination form and has achieved the following goals:
- Paid TDW chapter dues for 2016.
- Have ten or more members in good standing.
- Submit minutes from at least two meetings in 2015 (submit at least two copies signed by chapter secretary or president.
- Has sent out at least two newsletters to chapter members in 2015 (submit newsletters either published by the chapter, in conjunction with another Democratic organization, or a President’s Letter. If newsletter is published online, please provide hard copies of the newsletters.)
- Attendance at the 2015 TDW state convention by at least one member. (Please submit members name.)
- Submission of at least one nomination for 2016 TDW individual awards (Dr. Mae Jackson Outstanding Democratic officeholder, Oscar Mauzy Humanitarian award, Outstanding Texas Democratic Woman.)
Nominations for these four awards (Dr. Mae Jackson Outstanding Democratic woman officeholder, Oscar Mauzy Humanitarian Award, Outstanding Texas Democratic Women, and Chapter Certificate of Achievement) should be mailed to: TDW Awards Committee, c/o Susan Shelton, PO Box 152783, Austin, TX 78715.
Outstanding Chapter Newsletter-
This is awarded to the newsletter that is judged to be both informative and aesthetically pleasing.
- Newsletter must be published at least two times a year, whether electronically or in print.
- Minimum of two issues must be submitted.
- Submitted issues must have been published in 2015.
Mail the awards nomination form, newsletters, and any supporting information to Susan Shelton, TDW Convention 2016, PO Box 152783, Austin, TX 78715.
Outstanding Chapter Scrapbook
This is awarded to the chapter scrapbook that is judged to display a comprehensive look at that chapter’s political activities for 2015 in an aesthetically pleasing way.
- The members of the submitting chapter must have completed scrapbook.
- Scrapbook must reflect photos and other mementos of the members engaging in and promoting political activity.
- Recognizing that most chapters have a holiday party in December, the deadline for the scrapbooks will be January 16, 2016.
Mail the Awards nomination form, scrapbook and any supporting information to Susan Shelton, TDW Convention 2016, PO Box 152783, Austin, TX 78715.
NOTE: Submissions may also be emailed to Susan.Shelton. TDW@gmail.com